Friday, January 23, 2009

New Project - Gary P's Cobra











Just to keep you Guys informed of what's going on in our shop these days, I'll be posting the progress on our Friend's cars as we go. Double-click on the pics to get the full size!

This one was originally built for me as a replacement for our Demo...life began as a simple idea. You are probably wondering about the paint scheme...
'Wow, looks a little wild!'
You are absolutely right, my problem is that I just can't build ordinary looking stuff. Over the years of building these cars, I accumulated a lot of 'Spare Parts' and stuff I bought for a Future use...I decided that now was the time to round up everything and see what we have. I departed from our standard frame and thought to try a simpler platform design using Round Tube Main Rails, a simple Live Axle and basically Tubular Mustang II Front Suspension.

Now for the interesting part, what do I use for an engine? Well, I bought a 4.6 SOHC last year from a Police Interceptor...the Cop was chasing a Camaro around Abbotsdford and managed to spin a Rod Bearing in the chase! Not good for the Police...Lucky for the Dude in the Camaro! So...one too many Beer and I got a smart idea. Hey, lets put some Webers on it...Ebay to the rescue. I fabricated some manifolds and glass-beaded them to get a 'Casting Look'. Next was the Ignition, better to run a simple distributor driven off the Cam. The Cast Aluminum Valve Covers helped out to get a positive register for the adaptor. I used a MSD Billet Distributor and machined down the body, cut a slot into the shaft and designed a drive button to mount on the Left Hand Cam Gear. Everything lined up perfectly and rotated without binding. The rest of the engine got the treatment...Ross Flat Top Forged Pistons, SCAT H-Beam Rods, Tumble Porting to the Heads, new everything.

The tranny was procured from Higgins Racing as a race upgraded T45 and the Hydraulic Throw-out bearing completed the driveline.

Headers and sidepipes were all built on assembly and sent out for Ceramic Coating. Things were shaping up nicely and the car was coming together as planned.

The tricky part was to stuff this thing into the engine bay. The Fiberglass footboxes were modified with extra large wedges to clear the massive Valve Covers and then finished off in White Epoxy.

The body was prepped, primed and sent to the Paint Shop along with the instructions...here is a picture of what I got back. Yeah, it definitely looks wild but grows on you the more you look at it.
I guess the Cobra in general is not an 'Ordinary' Ride anyhow...


Like any other guy planning to build a Cobra, I also had a budget in mind. Try to get the highest 'Cool Factor' for the least amount of Money, Right? Sure...but maybe we'll add this little gadget, and then that one, Oh and it also needs this...you can see where this is going.
In the end, it was money well spent and as the project comes together the purse strings loosen.


Then I met Gary! He is your typical dude who (like me) has been drooling over these cars for most of his adult life..."One of these days"... and then the day comes. We connected through a mutual friend of ours, also a proud Cobra owner, and hooked up for a meeting. Gary says..."Wow, I saw the car already from the road"...and then began the love affair. We went over some of the details of the car, the extras that distinguish a Good Cobra replica from the rest. Gary seemed like a real nice and sensible guy and we both agreed that the Weber engine would not be suitable to what he had in mind for the car. He says..."I need a car I can into and just drive". Well, reading between the lines that spells 'Reliability and Durability'. Enter the 351 Cleveland engine. I happen to have a '70 HO motor that was removed from a Torino GT, along with the new Edelbrock Aluminum heads and some serious Performance upgrades we can build an excellent replacement motor.

So this is where we are at. With Spring approaching, the new driveline is being fitted and new custom headers fabricated. I will be posting some progress pics as we go and will also be posting a Video Clip of the initial starting. This is the fun Part! Make sure your guys check back regularly and have a look...We will not disappoint you!

God Bless


Wolfzter

No comments:

Post a Comment